Friday, April 15, 2011

Real Christianity: God is Light (1 John 1:5)

The Bible is a theocentric (God-centered) book, because God is the main Character in it. Christianity, therefore, is a theocentric religion and fellowship with God is theocentric, too, for the same reason – it is all about God. Whether men realize it or not the universe and all of life is theocentric. Therefore, our fellowship with God depends on who and what God is, not on what we are. In fact, as we shall see, what we are is a hindrance to fellowship with God.
John’s message that he declares to us simple folk who hold to the apostolic teaching of the New Testament is that “God is Light, and darkness is not in Him at all.” (1 John 1:5). John defines the basis of fellowship with God in terms of light and darkness. Under the figure of light John presents to us the absolute and undiluted holiness of God. God is holy, righteous and true. Therefore, God Himself is the standard by which we enjoy fellowship with Him. God expressed this to Abraham when He said, “Walk in My presence and be complete in your conformity to Me” (Gen.17:1). In order to walk acceptably in God’s presence one must conform to Him and to His will. This only makes sense. God is our Creator and Provider. He has every right to tell us how to live. He told Adam and Eve, and He tells everyone else. God has not surrendered His right to sovereign mastery of men.
If I am to walk in fellowship with God I must conform to His light and reflect it back to Him as well as to those around me. Obviously this will mean dramatic change in me, in my thoughts and in my actions. But cheer up. There is Light on my path to lead the way and to make the changes I need.

More to come, with God’s help…

No comments:

Post a Comment